My country of origin is Pakistan, a country that thrives on small and mid-sized businesses. My parents encouraged my sister and me to hone our community focused, entrepreneurial skills; by the age of fifteen, we had organized and participated in a number of successful (and quite a few unsuccessful) bake sales and craft shows to raise money for local nonprofits.
What drew me towards Apex was that it serves and uplifts entrepreneurs who are rooted in community. I hope to build and maintain lasting relationships with my clients; celebrating their achievements, assist manage their risks, and support them when they are faced with hard decisions.
My practice focuses on commercial and intellectual property (copyrights and trademarks) related transactions. I also have a particular interest in working with organizations, the legal community, and government officials on racial equity issues and polices.
Startups & Formation
- Forming for-profit and nonprofit entities with state and local agencies.
- Drafting fiscal sponsorship agreements.
- Drafting governance policies.
- Employment matters for standard employees and independent contractors.
- Assisting with application for tax-exemption under federal tax law.
- Forming nonprofit entities with state and local agencies.
Business Transactions & Services
- Employment matters for standard independent contractors.
- Drafting vendor and customer facing agreements.
- Drafting service agreements.
- Filing trademark applications.
- Filing copyright applications.
- Advising clients on their Intellectual Property rights and portfolio.
- Drafting Intellectual Property licenses, assignments, contracts, and releases.
- Drafting Work Made for Hire Agreements.
Speaking Engagements & Publications
- CLE Presenter at Microsoft for “Training for Virtual Clinics for Small Businesses and Non-Profits” for Communities Rise (formerly, Wayfind)
- Presenter for “Let’s Go Legal” for Communities Rise (formerly, Wayfind)
- Presenter for “Understanding the 501(c)3 Application Process” for Communities Rise (formerly, Wayfind)
- Facilitator at the Governing for Racial Equity, and Inclusion Conference 2019
- Speaker at University of Washington; “LLM Alumni: Preparing for the Bar Exam” 2018
- Intellectual Property L.L.M., University of Washington
- LLB (Hons), University of London
- Washington State Bar, 2016
Volunteering & Community Groups
- Leadership Eastside, Executive Insight Program 2020
- Middle Eastern Law Bar Association (MELAW), Board Member 2020
- Startup425, Advisory Board Member 2019
- Washington Young Lawyers Committee (WYLC), At-large Board Member 2019
- Kids in Need of Defense Pro bono Attorney, 2018
- Communities Rise Nonprofit Legal Clinic Volunteer 2017
- Communities Rise Microenterprise Legal Clinic Volunteer 2017
- Spending time with my son
- Baking for friends and family
- Since COVID-19, I have been learning how to sketch and paint!