I love working with nonprofits. Their impact, leadership, and passion inspire me. Apex Law Group is a firm that shares my heart for nonprofits with a team of kindred spirits that cares for our clients as much as our clients care about the community around them.
My primary practice serves nonprofits at every stage of existence. I pride myself in listening to my clients, counseling them through difficulties, and being a trustworthy voice in all of their endeavors. I’ve learned early on to never force my view onto that of my client, but to partner with them to find a solution that meets their goals and navigates complicated legal waters.
Taking inspiration from my clients, I stay active in my community to impact it for the better. I am a deacon at my church and spend time mentoring young men to better themselves both socially and spiritually. When at home, I enjoy spending time with my wife, Noelle, and my daughter, Elizabeth (my twin pillars of comfort and joy). On nice weekends, you’ll find me discovering new Washington breweries, grilling in my backyard, or reading one of the many books that I never seem to have the time to read.
Nonprofit/Social Impact Startups & Formation
- Forming for-profit, social purpose, and nonprofit entities with state and local agencies.
- Assisting with application for tax-exemption under federal tax law.
- Drafting and managing early stage fundraising and fiscal sponsorship agreements.
Nonprofit Corporate Governance
- Reviewing and drafting bylaws for all manner of organizations.
- Drafting and counseling regarding board and officer compensation.
- Drafting and counseling regarding handling conflicts of interest.
- Drafting and counseling regarding best practices for Board action and meetings.
Nonprofit/Social Impact Business Transactions & Services
- Employment matters for standard employees and independent contractors.
- Drafting grant agreement and other vendor facing agreements.
- Drafting and assisting with asset purchase/gift agreements.
- Assisting and preparing documents for merger and consolidations.
- Managing due diligence and impacts of findings on purchase and sales, mergers, and consolidations.
- Drafting and preparing documents for conversion of tax-exempt status.
- Assisting with dissolutions.
- University of Washington School of Law – JD, Class of 2016
- University of California, Los Angeles – Bachelor of Arts, American Literature and Culture, cum laude, Class of 2013
Volunteering & Community Groups
- Communities Rise Nonprofit Legal Clinic Volunteer since 2019
- Communities Rise CoVID-19 Small Business and Nonprofit Legal Clinic Volunteer (2020)
- Deacon at Every Nation Church Seattle
- Washington State Bar, 2016
- Exploring Washington Breweries