- Startup & Formation
- Business Transactions & Services
My practice focuses on for-profit and nonprofit corporate governance and finance. As such, I am uniquely poised to help entrepreneurs of all types throughout the life cycle of their business.
I have taught the nonprofit law clinic at Seattle University and the University of Washington for the last several years. I also spend time writing and speaking, mostly about legal issues facing social entrepreneurs.
In my spare time I enjoy being with my family, running, and reading.
- Washington State Bar, 2010
- Seattle University School of Law, J.D. summa cum laude
- University of Washington, B.A. Political Science & Classical Studies
- Nonprofit Entities: Formation, Governing, and Tax Considerations
- Nonprofit Law Institute 2017 – Mission Driven Commercial Ventures
- The Social Purpose Corporation: How is it different from nonprofits and for-profits?
- WA SOS Mt.Vernon Nonprofit Conference
- Advanced Nonprofit Techniques
- Advising the New Tech Startupin Business Entities
- Healthcare Hospitality House Network National Conference
- King County Bar Association – What every lawyer needs to know about corporate law and an introduction to the social purpose corporation.
- Co-authored “Tips for Successful Nonprofit Board Service” in the NW Lawyer Volume 6, Number 3 (April/May 2014).
- Co-authored “Not a Performing Bear: The Supreme Court’s Decision in Lummi Indian Nation v. State” in the Environmental & Land Use Law Newsletter Volume 37, Number 3 (December 2010).
- Provided advice and counsel to the seller in a $7M software as a service business sale.
- Have negotiated, drafted, and otherwise helped raise millions of dollars over dozens of deals in private placements for for-profit startup companies. In this area I have acted as general counsel to entity raising funds and as lead investor counsel.
- Have navigated countless issues advising my nonprofit, 501(c)(3) clients when working with for-profit entities. Such issues include conflict of interest, intermediate sanctions, social enterprises, and unrelated business income.