My practice focuses on nonprofit corporation law, tax-exempt organizations, and public finance. For more than 25 years, I have represented nonprofit organizations on corporate and tax exemption issues including incorporation and determination of tax-exempt status, legal obligations of directors, organizational structure and roles of board and staff, conversion, merger and affiliation issues, and federal tax-exemption issues.
I am a frequent speaker on nonprofit corporations and federal tax-exemption topics. In addition to serving as an adjunct professor at Seattle University School of Law, I lead workshops on the formation and maintenance of 501(c)(3) organizations for Communities Rise (formerly Nonprofit Assistance Center and Wayfind).
- Washington State Bar, 1988
- University of Notre Dame Law School, JD, 1988
- Beloit College, Associates with academic honors, 1975
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America
- Listed in Washington Law & Politics, “Washington’s Super Lawyers”
- American Bar Association Outstanding Nonprofit Attorney for 2016
- 2016 Outstanding Nonprofit Attorney by the American Bar Association
- Washington Nonprofit Handbook, credited Author
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbel
- Friend of MEDC Award, Minority Executive Directors Coalition of King County, September 2004
- 2016 Andy Guy Pro Bono Leadership Award